Tuesday, April 14, 2009

L I C H E N




After talking to Patrick I found that while Coral and Anemones relate to the overall ideas I have been thinking about dealing with looking at a creative way to add to or take away from one's surroundings and how this addition effects the space, he persuaded me to think about relating these ideas to an organism that is located closer to context in Guilford County. After talking to my good friend Matt, I found that Lichen (basically a marriage between algae + fungus comes close to comparing to the underwater organisms of the sea anemone and coral.

Here are some interesting facts about Lichen that I will be using conceptually...

  • lichen are composite organisms of symbiotic association.
  • lichen occur in some of the most extreme environments on earth.
  • in many species the fungal penetrates through the algae cell wall.
  • they take up metabolic products ensuring a perfect level of mutualism.
  • lichens possible evolve from phycobiont and mycobiont components.
  • they migrate from aquatic environments to dry land.
  • lichens are a successful alliance between a fungus and an algae, working as a team.
  • through section view under magnification, a typical folios lichen reveals 4 layers of interlaced fungal filaments

2 comments:

  1. I really like the top image it's surreal, lots of texture and shades of greens, yellows and grays.

    ReplyDelete