Tuesday, February 17, 2009

looking back


As I mentioned in class today I went to a very small school. I went there from kindergarten to my senior year. There was about 350 in the entire school. My favorite teacher was Mrs. Tucker. She was my kindergarten teacher, my art teacher from fourth grade to tenth grade and also my nutrition teacher. Art and nurtrition were my favorite classes. Its kind of interesting because she was my first impression of the school and basically got me ready for this life of school Id be facing for the next twenty years. Then she became my art teacher which made another huge impact that will be apart of me forever. The nutrition class she taught led me to declare nutrition as my first major which somewhat led me to uncg in the first place. Then I switched to art and now Im in Iarc! So Mrs. Tucker definately played a large role in shaping me into the person I am today.



I brought in "models" and a "piggy bank" in as my artifacts because I felt that school serves as a model for how we should study and apply ourselves in the real world and the bank stands for the safe place I felt my school represented.


My favorite quote from Gaston Bachelard's Poetics of Space for the reading last week:
"We are never historians, but we are always poets"...I even read this section to my boyfriend because I think it is so true! This sounds redundant but even this phrase is so poetic! When looking back our memories are always poeticaly looking through rose colored glasses and remembering "the good old days" even if sometimes they werent so good. I guess the past seems easier to grip then the present's struggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment